Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Happy Birthday

Today is a special day. Its a special day because today is my birthday. Yep, my birthday.

Got up from bed, took a shower, shaved, and picked out my best clothes. Put on my eau de toilette, mirror check, (damn I look fly...), and out the door I went.

It was just before sundown,but the weather still humid, it made me sweat a little more than I'd prefer, but hey this is the country I love, and this should not bother me on this day my birthday. As I wiped the sweat off my forehead, I hailed for the taxi coming up the road towards me, hoping it was empty. It was, and I waved my arm faster. Just as I thought the taxi was slowing down, I put one foot off the curb, but it didn't went past me and nearly ran over my foot. "What was his problem?" I said to myself. Not letting that spoil my day, I remained positive, and decided to use the LRT instead, as the station was 5 minutes away. I thought, why not, its a good enough public transportation, and its cheaper.

Reached the station, went up the stairs and towards the ticket counters. The line for the manual ticket counter was huge, so I headed for the ticket machines instead. I pressed the button indicating my destination, and put in the required amount. As I put in my last syiling to complete the amount, the machine suddenly resets, returning my money, but also producing the ticket. Taking this as a gift because its my birthday, I took the free ticket and headed for the platform. After 3 minutes, the train arrived , the doors open, and I walk in. The train was packed, so I had to stand, but thankful that I get a spot in the corner so I could lean on the side. In front of me was a lady holding the hands of a little girl. The little girl was adorable, but cried when she saw my face. I'm no Brad Pitt, but this is embarrassing. I had 6 stops to go. But it's all good. Its a good day today. Its my birthday.

The second stop after the one I got on, the train became less crowded, and left one seat near me open. I was ready to sit, when I saw an elderly woman of maybe 90 standing, so I went up to her and said

"excuse me maam...theres a seat over there free, I think it would be more comfortable for you if you sat down"

The old lady, without even looking at me, walked slowly towards the open seat, and sat down. A little thank you would have been nice. But this was expected maybe, courtesy in this country doesn't get rewarded much. Well maybe she was scared or shy to talk to me, she was really old. So, still feeling optimistic for the day, kept my head held high, and returned to my spot in the corner.

After two more stops, the train was practically empty, and finally got a chance to sit. The ones left was an old man 3 seats to my left and a woman with a small boy beside her, who i'm assuming is her son. After a few minutes of silence, I gave a friendly gesture to the old man and proceeded by saying

"How are ya doin' today sir?"

The old man, turned his head slowly towards me, paused, and with a confused look replied

"Umm, fine fine. So young man, where are you off to today?" he asked

"I'm off to my girlfriends house, gonna surprise her, before she surprises me....because its my birthday today you see.." I replied

"Well well, its your birthday today is it? well congratulations young man" the old man said

"Thank You sir. How about you sir? where are you headed to today?" I ask

"Oh me? I'm just an old man who loves riding this thing. I just ride the train from one end to the other" He explains

"Seriously? that's an interesting activity. Tell me sir, all the while you've been doing this anything wierd happen on this train?" I ask trying to make conversation

"Well, not really, probably i'm the weirdest thing" He said laughing

Obliging his laugh, I laugh along.

As both of us settled down, the train arrived at my destination. Just as I got up, the old man said

"See you young man, remember to breathe later"

"See you sir...ummm...thanks" I said looking confused

I exited the train, towards the stairs and down off the platform. Headed for the exit out to the streets.

The call to prayer erupted all around me from the mosque nearby. The soothing sound of the bilal always soothes my mind. It reminds me of home.

My house was 20 minutes walk from the LRT station. I didn't mind, my girlfriend's neighbourhood was safe enough and today is my birthday, nothing would bother me today.

As I approached her house, I smiled because it was all lit up, and I knew I had beat her to her surprise birthday party for me. I fell for it last year, but not this year, this year I beat her to it. As I walked through the gates, the only thing on my mind was the look on her face...haha...yes it's going to be priceless.

I approached the front door, I put my ear to the door and heard people chatting.This is gonna be sweet. I'm gonna bust through, and shout surprise to everyone else in the room who were there to surprise me. So, I straightened up, readied myself , pushed the doors wide open and...

"SURPRISE!!!!!!" I shouted with a big smile on my face

Silence...

Something was amiss here. Yes there were a lot of people here, but they didn't even move a muscle when I shouted. What's going on here?? Can it be that they knew I was coming and planned to ignore me? But not a muscle moved? Surely not. Wait a minute. Why are they dressed like this? and why are they so sad. Its my birthday damn it. Its not a sad occasion !

"Hey, c'mon guys. stop playing around, you got me ok?..." I said out loud

Still nothing

I walked towards the crowd and saw my best friend and said

"Eh bro, c'mon stop playing around, this is not funny anymore. Say something" I said desperately

Still he ignored me. I was angry now and stretched out my arm and reached for his shoulders. As soon as my hands touched me, I heard his voice, but the weird thing was his lips wasn't moving.

"That guy was the best", "My brother for life", "Not the same without him"... his voice said

"Hey bro, what's with you? when did you learn ventriloquism?" I asked

But no response again

I saw another close friend, reached out, touched his shoulder and

"The things I do for appearances sake", "I only hung out with him because of..", "What a waste of time"

I was shocked to hear those things from him. He was like a brother to me.

"They can't hear you young man" a voice behind me said

Startled, I turned around, and to my surprise, It was the old man from the train

"You. How come you're here sir? and how do you know they can't hear me?" I said

"I'm here because everything has a reason, and the reason is why i'm here" The old man said

"What? you're not making sense old man" I snapped

"Think. why did that taxi driver miss you and almost ran over your foot? Why did that little girl cry when she saw you? Why did the old woman ignore you? and why don't your friends hear you?" the old man said

"The taxi driver was reckless and stupid, because I don't have the most accommodating of faces, the old woman was 90, she probably was too tired to talk, and my friends are playing a prank on me" I answered

"Hahahah...excellent answers but all irrelevant young man" the old man replied

"Then why then? why?" I shouted feeling annoyed

"Because, today is not your birthday young man. These people aren't here to celebrate your birthday. Its the anniversary of your death.....its your deathday"









8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm reading this at 12.15 in the morning, and i'm starting to get goosebumps. not funny kay shah.

but i enjoyed it nevertheless. more updates please! ;D

oops did I just say that? said...

kenapa mati...

Anonymous said...

i have to say i knew it since that guy got the free ticket. khikhikhi.

Anonymous said...

Dude, nice story. Kinda had the feelin that he was dead ade.. hehe...

Unknown said...

Shah you made me read and read and read and read leh :P

Didn't know you blog also hahaha

Lutfi Belwael said...

laaaaa....i ACTUALLY thought it was you! but nice entry..if u wrote it urself, its really good. i like ur style.

cool, i didnt know u blogged. why sampai 3 blog? heh.

Ann said...

nice story..tulis sndiri ker??ingtkn crite btul dh td..

Anonymous said...

more update please!! i feel like this is not shah that i know..hahhahaha...